- Additional Information
- Helpful Information for Parents and Guardians - FAR WSS
- Multi Week Program Weather Policy – FAR WSS
- Cancellation Policy – Winter Sports School
- Ability Level - FAR WSS
Fernie Girls Freeski Club (Ages 10-17)
This program is a structured 6 or 12-week non-competitive program for confident all-mountain skiers looking to develop into independent big mountain riders. Following the same outline as our Freeski program but offered exclusively for girls. Our specialized coaches will spend time on tactic development and understanding of risk and reward in an environment designed to encourage and support girls to stay in skiing. Working towards refinement of skills in bumps, trees, powder and all-mountain freestyle. Our coaches will introduce important elements of alpine safety enabling participants to take ownership of their mountain experience. Graduates from his program will be true independent big mountain skiers.
Days taught: Saturdays
Offered: 6 or 12 weeks
Ability Levels: 5 – 6
Duration: 5.5 hour sessions, with supervised lunch
Session time: 10:00 AM
Start date 6 weeks: January 6th & February 24th, 2024
Start date 12 weeks: January 6th, 2024
** No clubs on Family Day weekend **
Prices do not include tax.
Lift tickets are NOT included in the price.
Rentals are NOT included in the price.
6 Week, 12 Week
|Program Start Time
|Program Start Date
January 6, 2024, February 24, 2024
Level 5, Level 6
As parents and guardians, you will play an essential part in the success of the groups. Here is a brief program outline and a few tips to guarantee your child will get the most out of this club program and help us run things smoothly. We hope to encourage all the kids’ talent and enthusiasm and foster their love of our winter sports.
We know it can be a struggle sometimes to get everything organized in the morning. Tears! Fears! Don’t worry. Our instructors are trained to deal with situations that might arise in their care. Dress for success! We cannot guarantee daily weather conditions; they can change from hour to hour. We do recommend that your child is equipped with the following to lessen the chances of a cold/wet unhappy child at pick-up times:
- Waterproof and insulated jacket, pants and gloves
- Long underwear, warm, dry socks, neck/face protector
- Goggles, sunscreen and lip balm
- Well rested and recovered from long travel car journeys
- Have eaten breakfast and have labelled everything – bags, lunches & snacks, equipment and all personal belongings
- Inform at the time of booking if your child has allergies, needs medications during the lesson, or has learning difficulties. When you share this vital information, we can group the lessons with the most appropriately trained coaches.
Here are the key things you will need to know before booking these programs:
- Please make sure your child has the following organized before heading out to lessons to meet the class:
- Has skis and ski poles or snowboard, and boots and helmet (not included in the cost of this program)
- Has a lift ticket attached to their jacket or pants (not included in the cost of this program)
- Has used the washroom
- Has any medication and lunch bags labelled and ready to give to the coach
- For day one, please arrive at least 15 minutes early so we can get your child into the suitable classes, grouped and ready to go. This will ensure that groups are out on snow by the designated times.
- The groups may change from the start of day one, as we want to make sure that we group kids by age and ability to suit their needs best, so a different coach may drop your child off than when they departed.
- Groups with a designated lunch break will be approximately 45 – 60 minutes. On Saturday, the lunch break for Extreme Club and Ski Club is at 12:15 pm. Big Mountain, Freeski/Girls Freeski and Freeride Clubs will break for lunch at 12:45 pm. On Sunday, Extreme Club and Ski Club will break for lunch at 12:30 pm. All groups will have lunch in Gabriella’s above the Mountain pantry– they can bring $15 cash if they would like a hot lunch from the menu.
- Reminder to parents sending a packed lunch or snacks, please do not send your kids with peanut products, as we do have some kids with allergies.
- At the end of the session, you will pick up the kids at the same place you dropped them off. Your designated meeting area will be emailed closer to the program’s start.
- If you would like to have your child make their way home on their own, you will be required to head into the sales office before the start of the program to sign our Authority Release form to give us the ok on this.
If you have any questions or concerns, please get in touch with us at [email protected]
See you in January!
Winter Sports School Director
FAR Multi-Week Programs Weather Policy 2023/24
Winter Sports School (WSS) reserves the right to decide on extenuating circumstances, including but not limited to extreme cold and snowfall (for example, daytime highs of below -30C and windchill below -45C), the safe operation of multi-week lessons. Cancellation of Multi-Week programs will be made no later than 5 pm the day before the lesson and will be communicated via email and posted on the WSS Facebook page/website.
The decision to cancel a scheduled program will be based on the guidelines below, and the Program Supervisor will make it after consulting with other daily supervisors, Patrol and WSS Directors. At the discretion of the Program Supervisor or designate, the planned program may be cancelled, shortened, or include indoor activities when weather conditions do not allow for regular running of the program.
No refund or exchange will be offered, including no make-up session. The final decision to come ski or ride is the person’s own (or parents) – if they think it’s too cold, the participant can contact the WSS Sales team to confirm they will not attend.
Click here for more information on our Winter Sports School Cancellation Policy.
Click here to review Fernie Alpine Resort Winter Sport School ability level charts.